What’s more comforting than potatoes? No matter if they are baked, fried, steamed or mashed, potatoes are the epitome of comfort food. This recipe takes the classic scalloped potato dish but ups the flavor game with a few decadent additions.
Roasted garlic is infused into this layered potato casserole, giving it a rich and slightly sweet flavor, while the Parmesan cheese adds a salty, sharp bite. And don’t forget the creamy, cheesy sauce that brings it all together for the most indulgent side dish you’ll eat this holiday.
Roasted garlic-white cheddar scalloped potatoes recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 55 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1/2 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 6-8 cloves roasted garlic, mashed (depending on desired taste)
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 4 large Idaho potatoes, sliced very thin
- Fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and spray a medium-size casserole dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- To a pot over medium heat, add the butter, flour and cream. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until the mixture begins to thicken.
- Once the sauce is thick, stir in the mashed garlic, salt, pepper, nutmeg and cheeses, and mix until the cheeses are melted.
- Layer the potatoes in the casserole dish, then spoon some of the cheese sauce on top. Repeat this process until all the potatoes and sauce have been used.
- Bake the potatoes uncovered for about 45 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove from the oven, and allow the potatoes to cool for 5 minutes.
- Spoon onto plates, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Best served warm.