Skip the fryer, and use a doughnut pan to make soft, fluffy doughnuts that won’t wreck your diet. These sweet treats use healthier ingredients and are bursting with fall flavor.
One of my favorite treats is a fresh doughnut — warm and soft, with just the right amount of sweetness and perfect with a cup of coffee or tea. Since I frequent the bakery more than I should to get my doughnut fix, I decided to try to make a healthier version at home.
With a simple doughnut pan I purchased from my local home goods store, I made these decadent treats that are baked rather than fried. They satisfy just like the real thing but are slightly more in line with a healthy lifestyle.
Skinny vanilla, maple and pecan doughnuts recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour
- 1/2 cup almond flour
- 1/2 cup whole-wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup 0 percent plain Greek yogurt
- 2 whole eggs
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup pure maple syrup or agave
- 1/4 cup fat-free cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup powdered sugar
- 4 tablespoons half-and-half (or more if needed to thin out the glaze)
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Pinch sea salt
- 1/2 cup crushed pecan halves
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a doughnut pan generously with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a mixing bowl, combine all the dry ingredients, and mix well. In a separate bowl, combine the wet ingredients, and mix until smooth.
- Fold the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients until a soft, sticky batter forms, making sure there are no lumps in the batter.
- Carefully spoon the batter into the doughnut pan, and bake uncovered for 12 to 15 minutes or until the doughnuts are golden.
- Remove the doughnuts from the oven, and let them cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, to a bowl, add all the ingredients (except for the pecans) for the glaze, and mix until very smooth.
- Once the doughnuts are completely cool, dip the tops of the doughnuts into the glaze, and then garnish them with the crushed pecan halves.
- Allow to sit for 5 minutes for the glaze to firm up, and enjoy or store in an airtight container until ready o serve.