Beefy tomato macaroni soup is the belly-warming recipe you want this fall
When you think soup, you probably think of it as a starter to a meal or a dish you would choose to keep things light. This beefy tomato macaroni soup is anything but light — it's hearty, filling and comforting. Exactly what you want on a cold night.
This one-pot soup is an easy meal full of fresh tomatoes, ground beef and pasta. It's perfect for a quick dinner with a toasty grilled cheese or as a lunch with a small green salad.
If you aren’t a fan of beef, try ground turkey. And if you need a gluten-free option for the macaroni, try quinoa pasta as a simple substitute.
Beefy tomato macaroni soup recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 pound grass-fed, organic beef
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 4 cups diced fresh tomatoes
- 3 cups vegetable or chicken stock
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons raw cane sugar
- 1 cup uncooked macaroni pasta
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Parmesan cheese, for garnish
- Heat a large soup pot over medium-high heat. Add in the olive oil, beef, onions and garlic, and cook for about 5 minutes or until the beef is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- Transfer the meat to a plate lined with paper towels to remove excess oil.
- To the same pot over medium heat, add the butter and flour, and stir for 4 to 5 minutes to make a roux.
- Once the roux is a golden brown color, add in the tomatoes, vegetable stock, salt, sugar, macaroni and cooked beef. Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to medium.
- Cover the soup, and simmer for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Once the soup is done simmering, ladle it into soup bowls, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley and Parmesan cheese.