Cracker-topped mac 'n' cheese muffins are a fun twist on a comfort food fave
Macaroni and cheese is baked individually in a muffin pan and topped with crushed cheese and peanut butter crackers for a deliciously unique crunchy topping.
Who doesn’t love a big bowl of hot, creamy mac and cheese? While I love pasta in general, macaroni and cheese has always been my favorite. These mac and cheese muffins are perfect as a side dish or even for entertaining.
Rather than serve this dish in a bowl, I baked the pasta in a muffin pan, transforming them into mac and cheese muffins. But wait, because it doesn’t stop there! These muffins get topped with crushed cheese and peanut butter crackers for a tasty, crunchy and interesting topping.
Cracker-topped mac and cheese muffins recipe
Macaroni and cheese is baked into single-serve portions in a muffin pan and topped with crushed crackers for a tasty topping.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes| Total time: 45 minutes
- 1 muffin pan
- Nonstick cooking spray
- 1 pound uncooked macaroni pasta?
- 1 stick unsalted butter
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour?
- 1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 2-1/2 cups whole milk?
- 2-1/2 cups shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 cup crushed Lance cheese and peanut butter crackers
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil, and heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray the muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set it aside.
- Once the water is boiling, add the pasta, and cook for 8 to 10 minutes or until tender. Drain the pasta.
- To the same pot over medium heat, add the butter, flour, mustard, salt and pepper, and stir until the butter has melted and the mixture is smooth.
- Slowly whisk in the milk, and simmer for about 5 minutes or until the sauce becomes thick and starts to bubble. Remove from the heat, and stir in the cheddar cheese and cooked macaroni.
- Spoon the pasta into the muffin cups, and top with the crushed crackers.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until the tops of the macaroni and cheese cups are golden brown.
- Garnish with fresh parsley, and serve warm.