It’s important to start your day with a good breakfast, and one of my favorites is oatmeal, because it fills me up fast and makes me feel energized (thanks to all the carbohydrates from the oats).
Out of habit, I always prepare mine sweet — with chocolates, fruits, nuts, syrups or anything I can grab that goes well with my oatmeal. But sometimes I kick that sweet tooth to the curb and go for something savory. It’s as scrumptious as you can imagine with bacon, egg and cheese, and makes even a boring bowl of porridge look and taste spectacular.
Savory bacon, egg and cheese oatmeal bowl recipe
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 1 cup old-fashioned oats
- 2-1/2 cups water
- Salt and pepper
- 2 eggs
- 1/3 cup bacon, diced
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese, grated
- Parmesan or any similar cheese, shaved, for garnish (optional)
- In a medium saucepan over medium heat, combine the water and oats. Cook until tender, about 8 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper.
- While waiting for the oatmeal to cook, prepare a small saucepan with water, and bring it to a boil. Poach the eggs according to your desired consistency.
- In another small saucepan, fry the bacon.
- When the oatmeal is cooked, mix in the grated Parmesan cheese, and then serve it in individual bowls.
- Top with the bacon, shaved cheese (if using) and eggs.