When you want a winner of a chicken dinner, stuff it with ham, cheese and a surprising ingredient — fresh sage. The sage gives a hint of peppery flavor to the chicken rolls, which boosts the overall flavor of every single bite.
I have been relying on this recipe for more than a decade, and it has never failed to please my family and guests. Just remember to serve them as soon they’re cooked, because that is when they taste the best — while the cheese is still melty and warm.
Chicken rolls with ham, cheese and sage recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 10 thin slices chicken fillet (about 11 ounces)
- 10 slices ham
- 10 slices cheese
- 10 fresh sage leaves
- 1 egg, lightly whisked
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 cup flour
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil
- On a plate, lay a slice of chicken, and then place a slice of ham, cheese and sage on it. Roll tightly until the end. Secure it with a toothpick if needed.
- Prepare 3 small bowls for the whisked egg, flour and breadcrumbs.
- Dip the chicken roll into the flour, then shake off the excess. Next, dip it into the egg and then into the breadcrumbs. Sprinkle with salt and pepper, and set it aside. Prepare the rest of the chicken rolls.
- In a saucepan with olive oil over medium heat, brown all sides of the chicken rolls.
- Place them on a plate with paper towels to absorb the excess oil.