Tex-Mex tater tot casserole is gluten-free and vegetarian comfort food
Tater tots? Sure, we've all had them as kids and probably as adults too. But have you ever thought about turning these crispy, bite-size potatoes into a main course that's super easy to make?
This gluten-free and vegetarian casserole uses tater tots along with taco seasoning, black beans and salsa to make a filling and oh-so-delicious dish. And don't forget the generous amount of white cheddar cheese, fresh tomatoes, green onions and cilantro on top.
Tex-Mex tater tot casserole recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 cup salsa, divided
- 1 (1 pound) package frozen tater tots
- 1 cup black beans
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 1 cup shredded white cheddar cheese (or other cheese, such as pepper jack or sharp cheddar)
- Diced tomatoes
- Fresh cilantro
- Green onions
- Extra salsa, if desired
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and spread 1/2 cup of the salsa in the bottom of a baking dish.
- In a bowl, combine the frozen tater tots, black beans and taco seasoning. Mix well, and pour into the baking dish.
- Spoon the remaining salsa on top of the mixture, and bake uncovered for 25 minutes or until the tater tots start to crisp and turn golden.
- Before removing the casserole from the oven, sprinkle the top with cheese, and return it to the oven for 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the oven, garnish with diced tomatoes, green onions and fresh cilantro, and serve warm.