A busy day can be stressful, especially when you have to come up with dinner in a hurry. But don’t worry, this one-pot wonder will save your weeknights.
I always cook by sautéing some ingredients ahead of the others to make sure their best flavors come through. But there are times when I need to go for something quicker and simpler. One-pot wonders are lifesavers for people who are just in too much of a rush but would still like to have healthy, home-cooked meals on the table in little time and with almost no effort. Put all the ingredients together in one big pot, then that’s it.
This one-pot spicy salsa chicken and rice is packed with flavors and is so tasty. This is one of my family’s favorite meals, and it always gets a “yum” or two from everyone. Use your favorite salsa, because the whole dish depends on those flavors.
One-pot spicy chicken salsa rice recipe
Be sure to use a large pan, as the rice will expand substantially.
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 4 skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup salsa
- 1 cup uncooked rice
- 1/2 cup precooked corn kernels
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 2-1/2 cups water
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon jalapeño powder (more if you want more heat)
- Salt and pepper
- Fresh parsley, coarsely chopped
- 1 medium tomato, finely chopped
- Using a sharp knife, make some small, deep slits in the chicken thighs to make sure the inside part will cook well.
- To a large saucepan, add all the ingredients except for the fresh tomato and parsley.
- Over medium heat, bring the mixture to a boil. Lower the heat, cover, and simmer for 18 to 20 minutes or until the chicken and rice are cooked through.
- Garnish with the fresh tomatoes and parsley.