There’s not much better than a huge bowl of delicious pasta, even if it is fancied up a bit. This rigatoni dish gets its elegant look from oven-roasted tomatoes and peppery greens but still satisfies your comfort food carb craving.
Oven-roasting tomatoes transforms them into something spectacular, as the roasting process naturally brings out their sweetness. And the greens are tossed into the pasta at the end so there is a nice pop of color and a bit of freshness.
Balsamic rigatoni with roasted tomatoes recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 16 ounces rigatoni pasta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1/4 cup grated Asiago or Parmesan cheese
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper
- 1-1/2 cups oven-roasted tomatoes
- 4 cups fresh baby spinach
- Fresh shaved Asiago cheese, for garnish (optional)
- Bring a large pot of water to a rapid boil over high heat.
- Add the box of pasta, and cook as directed on the box. Once the pasta is done, drain it, and set it aside.
- Over medium heat, return the pot to the stove, then add the olive oil, butter, vinegar, whipping cream and maple syrup, and mix well. Stir in the Asiago (or Parmesan) cheese, garlic powder and Italian seasoning, and season with salt and pepper.
- Cook for 5 minutes or until the sauce begins to thicken, then return the cooked pasta to the pot, and toss lightly.
- Finally, add in the oven-roasted tomatoes and half the spinach, and toss well.
- Transfer the pasta to a serving dish, and garnish with the remaining spinach and shaved Asiago cheese. Best served warm.