No two chili dishes are alike, don’t you agree? This recipe for chickpea and chicken chili is no exception. Try it for yourself to create a simple and flavorful meal.
Chickpeas make an appearance in this dish that might normally include white beans. I love the versatility of chickpeas, and adding them to this chili brings substance and flavor. I’ve included corn in the mix, and things get slightly spiced by adding chipotle in adobo sauce.
This recipe creates a white chili that is hearty and full of flavor. I love how it comes together so easily and delivers a delicious dish perfect for cool weather.
Hearty chickpea and chicken chili recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 2 (4-6 ounce) boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cooked almost all the way through, then diced
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup diced white onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 teaspoon canned chipotle chili in adobo sauce, diced, plus 1/2 teaspoon sauce
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper chili flakes (optional)
- 2 (15 ounce) cans chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 1 cup frozen corn
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- Green onion pieces, for garnish
- Sour cream or Greek yogurt to dollop on top
- To a large pot or Dutch oven over medium heat, add the olive oil. When the oil is hot, add the onion, and cook for 3 to 4 minutes or until they begin to soften. Add the garlic, and cook for another 30 seconds.
- Add the diced chipotle and sauce to the pan, along with the chicken broth, salt, black pepper, cumin and red pepper chili flakes, if using.
- Bring the mixture to a boil, and then reduce the heat to simmer. Add the chickpeas, corn, chicken and the 1/4 cup of Greek yogurt. Cook for 10 to 12 minutes.
- Serve in individual bowls, garnished with the green onion and the sour cream or Greek yogurt.