Fall flavors make this hearty and healthy kale salad a seasonal favorite
Salads don’t have to be a plate of boring lettuce leaves. It's easy to spruce up a salad with flavorful and colorful ingredients while still keeping things healthy and super delicious.
For this hearty salad, I used kale, red cabbage and other veggies to make a filling salad that’s perfect for a main course but doubles as a side dish too.
Apple chips add sweetness, while pecans add a nice texture and some crunch. I love adding feta cheese because of the saltiness, but that's optional if you don’t eat dairy. Another level of flavor comes from the truffle oil croutons, which add an earthiness to this already tasty dish. Top all that off with homemade apple cider vinaigrette, and you've got a salad you'll go back to all season long.
Fall kale salad with truffled croutons recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
For the truffled croutons
- 2 slices day-old bread, cubed
- 2 tablespoons truffle oil
- 1 tablespoon Italian seasoning
- Salt and pepper, to taste
For the salad
- 4 cups kale, finely chopped
- 1 cup red cabbage, finely chopped
- 1 cup shredded broccoli
- 1/2 cup toasted pecans
- 1/4 cup crumbled feta cheese
- Apple chips, for garnish
- Apple cider dressing, for serving
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- To a bowl, add the bread cubes. Drizzle the truffle oil on top, and sprinkle with the herbs, salt and pepper.
- Toss well, and spread in a single layer on the baking sheet. Bake for 15 minutes or until golden. Let cool, and use as desired.
- To a large salad bowl, add the kale, red cabbage and shredded broccoli. Drizzle with the apple cider dressing, and toss well.
- Garnish the salad with pecans, feta and apple chips. Top with the truffle oil croutons, and serve with additional dressing, if desired.
- Best served immediately.
Easy homemade apple cider vinaigrette recipe
Yields 3/4 cup
Total time: 5 minutes
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 1 teaspoon Dijon mustard
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1 garlic clove
- 1/2 small shallot
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes (optional)
- Salt and fresh black pepper, to taste
- To a blender or jar with a lid, add all the ingredients.
- Blend or shake for 30 seconds, then taste the dressing, and adjust any ingredients as desired.
- Store the dressing up to 1 week when chilled in an airtight container.
- Shake well before using.