These scary ghosts can be eaten from head to toe. Well, since ghosts may not have toes, feel free to take a bite wherever you want so you can sink your teeth into chocolate chip cookie dough. Yes, these are actually made with cookie dough. But there are no eggs allowed in this cookie dough.
When I was a kid, I loved to make things out of Play-Doh. Now that I’m a big kid, I’m making things out of cookie dough. Go figure. Some habits are hard to break, I guess. But these creations are edible, which is fun and tasty at the same time.
All you do is shape some ghostly figures out of the cookie dough, dip them in white candy coating and add a couple of eyeballs. The hardest part is catching these ghosts in flight so you can take a bite out of them.
Candy-coated cookie dough ghosts recipe
Prep time: 40 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 20 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon butter, softened
- 1 cup flour
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1-1/2 tablespoons milk
- 1/3 cup mini chocolate chips (or regular size)
- 6 Almond Bark vanilla baking squares
- 20 candy eyeballs
- To a large mixing bowl, add the butter, flour, salt, sugar, vanilla, brown sugar and milk.
- Set the mixer to the slow setting so that the flour doesn’t create a lot of dust.
- After a couple of minutes, increase the speed slightly, and mix until all the ingredients are incorporated.
- With a large, sturdy mixing spoon, stir in the chocolate chips.
- On a large cutting board or plate, transfer the cookie dough (it will be the texture of damp sand).
- Knead the dough, and it should become more pliable to form the ghost figures.
- If the dough is too dry to form the ghost figures, then add a slight bit of milk. Or if the dough is just a little too wet, then add a slight amount of flour until the dough can be formed into ghost figures.
- Line a large plate or cookie sheet with waxed paper.
- Form 10 ghost figures with the cookie dough, and stand them up on the waxed paper.
- To a small bowl, add 3 vanilla baking squares. Warm in the microwave for 40 seconds, and stir if possible. Warm again in the microwave for about 25 seconds or more if needed to melt the candy. Stir until smooth.
- Dip 1 ghost into the candy coating. Set the ghost on the waxed paper, and use a spoon to add more candy coating to touch up any missed areas. Add the eyes to the ghost right away, before the candy sets.
- Repeat the process for each ghost.
- After coating about 5 ghosts, melt another batch of vanilla candy coating with the remaining squares. Then coat the remaining ghosts 1 at a time, and add the eyeballs.
- Let the ghosts chill in the refrigerator for about 20 minutes for the candy coating to set before serving.
- Store leftover ghosts in the refrigerator.