Looking for a neat treat to bring to a Halloween party this year? Scare up some simple meringue cookies that are all dressed up for Halloween as little white, orange and purple ghosts.
Meringue cookies are delicate and airy little treats made from egg white, cream of tartar and sugar, and they’re easily piped into different shapes.
To make these fun little ghosts, you don’t need a lot of piping skill either. Orange and purple food coloring add a little extra Halloween fun to these cute little ghosts, but you can leave out the food coloring for traditional plain white ghosts.
These spooky little meringue cookies will sweeten up any Halloween party.
Ghost meringues recipe
Yields 25-30 (depending on how large they are piped)
Prep time: 25 minutes I Bake time: 45 minutes I Total time: 1 hour 10 minutes
- 4 eggs whites, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 1 cup sugar
- Purple and orange food coloring
- Black candy melting wafers (you can also use chocolate chips)
- Heat the oven to 275 degrees F.
- In a mixer on high, beat the eggs whites until frothy.
- Add the cream of tartar, and continue mixing.
- Add the sugar slowly until combined, and mix on high until stiff peaks form.
- Add 1/3 of the mixture to a piping bag.
- Separate the remaining mixture into 2 bowls. Add purple food coloring to 1 bowl and orange food coloring to the other. Mix each until the colors are uniform.
- Add each color to a piping bag.
- Pipe ghost shapes onto parchment paper.
- Bake for 45 minutes on low heat. Check in periodically to make sure the meringues do not brown.
- Remove from the oven, and let cool. Meringues should not be sticky when touched.
- Melt 1/2 cup of black candy wafers or chocolate chips in a plastic freezer bag for 20-second intervals in the microwave until just melted. Snip off a corner of the bag, and add some melted candy to each meringue as eyes and mouth. Let the candy harden for 5 minutes.
More Halloween recipes
Goof-proof candy monsters perfect for your little monsters this Halloween
The alien brain hemorrhage is your creepiest Halloween cocktail
Scary, hairy, baked doughnuts make a fun Halloween treat