Cordon bleu orzo bake turns a classic dish into an easy casserole
Creamy, melty Swiss cheese, ham and whole-wheat orzo all baked together to create the perfect side dish to any meal. It's comfort food at its best. Bonus? It can also be served as the main course.
Growing up, this is one of the recipes my mom always had in the dinner rotation, but in the place of orzo, she used rice. Really though, what is not to love about the combination of Swiss cheese and ham paired with the perfectly textured rice or orzo? Besides, it is so easy to make and everyone loves it.
This is a great recipe that appeals to a variety of ages, and it is true comfort food. Honestly, a total winner. And I love it even more because it is perfect for leftover ham or even chicken from the night before. Pair with some green veggies or a big salad and you have a fantastic meal to serve your family.
I love the incredible dish that is chicken cordon bleu, but this casserole recipe is much quicker and easier to make. Weeknight dinners can be a hassle; thus, I try to cut corners wherever and whenever I can. Without sacrificing taste, this dish is one of our favorite time-savers.
Cordon bleu orzo bake recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 50 minutes
- 3 cups cooked whole-wheat orzo (cook orzo according to the directions on the package; drain)
- 2 cups diced cooked ham
- 6 ounces shredded aged Swiss cheese
- 3 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
- 3 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1-1/2 cups panko bread crumbs
- 6 tablespoons butter, melted
- 1/2 teaspoon seasoning salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Lightly spray a 2-quart casserole dish with cooking spray.
- Combine cooked and drained orzo, ham, Swiss cheese, parsley and butter in a medium bowl and mix until thoroughly incorporated.
- Spoon the mixture into the previously prepared baking dish and set aside.
- Sprinkle crumbs mixture over the casserole.
- Bake for 32 to 35 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Remove the mixture from the oven, let it stand for 5 minutes and serve.