Slow Cooker Sunday: Apple cider beer cheese soup guaranteed to warm you up
What’s better than a piping-hot bowl of homemade soup once the weather cools off? Nothing! And this particular soup is the epitome of fall, infused with fresh apple cider, beer and cheddar and Brie cheeses.
This soup is ultra creamy and perfect for dipping fresh bread into or topping with croutons. I like to top the bowls with pepper and parsley and fresh, sliced French or Italian bread lightly coated with butter and sprinkled with garlic powder for an easy, no-bake type of crouton.
While this version is vegetarian, you could also add crumbled applewood-smoked bacon on top for even more flavor.
Slow cooker apple cider beer cheese soup recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 10 minutes
- 1 (12 ounce) bottle light beer or hard apple cider
- 1/2 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/2 cup half-and-half
- 3-1/2 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup finely minced onion
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 8 ounces cubed cheddar cheese
- 8 ounces cubed Brie cheese
- Dash hot sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh cracked pepper and fresh parsley, for garnish
- Into the bowl of the slow cooker, place all the ingredients.
- Mix, cover the bowl, and set the slow cooker to cook on low for 4 hours.
- Stir the soup halfway through the cook time to make sure none of the cheese sticks to the bottom of the slow cooker.
- Once the cheese has completely melted, ladle into soup bowls. Garnish with fresh cracked pepper, chopped parsley and a garlic bread crouton, if desired.