Pear, apple and bacon grilled cheese is the ultimate fall sandwich
As the weather gets cooler, having comforting and warming foods midday becomes a necessity, and the acceptability of grilled cheese for lunch increases.
I may not love the transition from summer to colder temps for many reasons, but an excuse to eat grilled cheese for lunch more often isn't something I hate on with the change of seasons.
If you find yourself inundated with apples and pears this fall, this grilled cheese is perfect for you. Tart Granny Smith apples, sweet pears and salty bacon all rendezvous in a melted cheesy (Muenster is such a great melter) sandwich that will take any woes of a bygone summer away.
Pear, apple, bacon grilled cheese
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Total time: 10 minutes
- 2 slices bread
- 2-3 slices Granny Smith apple
- 2-3 slices ripe pear
- 6 slices Muenster cheese
- 2 slices cooked bacon, cut in half
- Butter, for the pan
- Place 2 slices of cheese on top of a slice of bread. Place the apples on top of the cheese, and then place 2 more slices of cheese on top of that. Continue layering with the bacon slices, then the pears and finally the last 2 slices of cheese. Top with the remaining slice of bread.
- Heat enough butter (about 1/2 tablespoon) in a small skillet over medium heat until melted.
- Place the sandwich in the pan, and press down firmly on the top to smush the sandwich for about 30 seconds.
- Cover the skillet so that the cheese melts while cooking. Flip once the cheese on the bottom of the sandwich starts to melt and the bread on the bottom is golden brown, about 3 to 4 minutes.
- Cover, and cook on the other side for 3 to 4 additional minutes.
- Remove from the skillet, slice in half, and serve warm.