One-pan veggie taco skillet makes healthy weeknight meals a cinch
Nothing makes me happier than a delicious Mexican meal, especially when it’s on the healthier side and easy. This one-pan veggie taco skillet is perfect for the busy family and is even meatless, though you wouldn't guess it.
Rather than using ground beef as in most taco dishes, I opted to use crumbled veggie burgers. They mimic real meat perfectly, and who knows? Some may not even realize it’s vegetarian if they aren’t paying attention.
Along with the "meat," there are beans, taco seasoning, cheese, crushed taco shells and all the toppings. Lime sour cream is optional, but it really gives the dish a nice, tangy flavor. It's a one-pan meal with everything you love about tacos.
One-pan veggie taco skillet recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 small sweet onion
- 4 frozen veggie burgers, thawed and crumbled
- 1/2 cup black beans
- 1 envelope taco seasoning
- 2 tablespoons vegetable broth or water
- 4 crushed taco shells
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese
- Diced tomatoes
- Thinly sliced green onions
- Minced red onions
- Diced avocado
- Lime-sour cream sauce (recipe below)
- Heat a large skillet over medium heat.
- Add the olive oil and diced onion, and cook for 2 to 3 minutes or until the onion becomes translucent.
- Add the crumbled veggie burgers and black beans, and cook uncovered for 8 to 10 minutes or until the veggie burger starts to brown. Stir in the taco seasoning and vegetable broth, and mix well.
- Cook for 2 minutes to allow the broth to absorb, and before removing the pan from the heat, add the crushed taco shells along with the shredded cheese.
- Top with diced tomatoes, green and red onions and avocado. If desired, drizzle a spoonful of lime-sour cream sauce on top before serving.
Lime-sour cream sauce recipe
Yields 1 cup
Prep time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 3/4 cup low-fat sour cream
- 2 large limes, juiced and zested
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon agave
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- In a bowl, mix together all the ingredients well.
- Cover, and chill for 30 minutes to allow the flavors to develop before serving.