Sometimes I get bored with my favorite vegetables and need a new and delicious way to enjoy them. Sweet potatoes are something I always have on hand, and while I love them steamed or baked, those preparations can get a little tired.
To amp things up a bit, I combined sweet potatoes with an Idaho potato for a decadent scalloped potatoes dish. They’re sliced super thin and layered in a baking dish with herbs, garlic, fresh Parmesan cheese and heavy cream. Once baked, it gets nice and crispy on top, and this fragrant sweet potato dish is the perfect accompaniment for any fall dinner.
Scalloped Parmesan sweet potatoes recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 40 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 3 large sweet potatoes
- 1 large Idaho potato
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried sage
- Salt and pepper
- 1 cup plus 1/4 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 3/4 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- Fresh parsley, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F. Spray a medium baking dish with nonstick cooking spray.
- Wash and peel all the potatoes.
- In a small bowl, combine all the seasonings, and mix them together.
- Using a mandoline slicer or a very thin knife, slice the potatoes very thin. Once all the potatoes are sliced, layer the potato slices in the dish until completely covering the bottom.
- Sprinkle the layer of potato slices with the seasoning mixture and then with Parmesan cheese. Repeat layering until all the potatoes and the 1 cup of Parmesan have been used.
- Pour the heavy whipping cream on top of the potatoes, and then top with the remaining 1/4 cup of Parmesan cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 40 minutes or until the tops of the potatoes are nice and golden brown.
- Remove from oven, garnish with fresh parsley, if desired, and serve warm.