Easy, cheesy, mashed potato waffles make the best breakfast for dinner
Have a mound of mashed potatoes sitting around from last night's dinner you need to use up? Revamp those leftovers, and make these easy, cheesy, cheddar mashed potato waffles.
Mashed potatoes, cheddar cheese, sour cream and green onions get cooked up into crispy, savory waffles served with sunny-side up eggs for dipping. You could also serve these with gravy or as a side dish to fried chicken. Whether it's breakfast, brunch or dinner, these waffles make any meal delicious.
Cheesy sour cream and cheddar mashed potato waffles recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 2 cups mashed potatoes
- 2 whole eggs
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup thinly sliced green onions
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the waffle iron as well as the oven to the warm setting. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper, and set it aside.
- In a large bowl, combine the mashed potatoes, eggs and sour cream, and mix until smooth.
- Fold in the cheese, onions and seasonings, and mix very well.
- Spray the waffle iron with nonstick cooking spray, and drop about 1/2 of the potato mixture into the center of the iron.
- Close the lid, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per waffle or until crispy and golden brown. Place each cooked waffle on the baking sheet, and keep them warm in the oven until ready to serve.
- Repeat with the remaining potatoes until all the waffles are made.
- Serve the waffles warm with sunny-side up eggs and a drizzle of hot sauce.