Meatless Monday: Teriyaki noodle and veggie stir-fry with a twist
Who says you can't eat spaghetti with chopsticks, anyway?
If you're one of those spaghetti eaters that rolls their noodles with a fork and spoon like I do, you may actually like using chopsticks to get an even bigger roll of spaghetti plus some veggies too. I can say this from experience after eating my way through this tasty spaghetti stir-fry with chopsticks.
I like using whole-wheat spaghetti when making this dish because it adds texture and absorbs the teriyaki sauce nicely. I also like how the shredded Chinese cabbage adds to the heartiness of the dish.
For a little spice, try adding some red pepper flakes. And for crunch, chopped roasted peanuts taste so good piled on the top.
Here's a chopstick-spaghetti-roll in progress. So maybe this size of a bite isn't as dainty as it could be, but no one was looking, and it was so very good.
Whether you eat this wonderful stir-fry with chopsticks or a fork, you're sure to enjoy it.
Teriyaki spaghetti stir-fry with Chinese cabbage and veggies recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 13 minutes | Total time: 28 minutes
- 3 servings whole-wheat spaghetti noodles, cooked al dente
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 cup broccoli florets
- 1 cup red bell pepper strips
- 1 cup whole sugar snap peas, stems and tips removed
- 1 cup coarsely chopped red onion
- 2 cups shredded Chinese cabbage (napa cabbage)
- 3 garlic cloves, peeled and diced
- 1/4 teaspoon dried red pepper flakes (or more, if desired)
- 1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
- 1/4 teaspoon sesame oil
- 2 tablespoons soy sauce
- 1/3 cup chopped roasted peanuts
- Heat a large skillet or wok on medium heat, and add the olive oil.
- Add the broccoli, and continuously stir.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes, and then add the red bell peppers and snap peas. Continuously stir.
- Let cook for about 2 minutes, and then add the onion. Continuously stir.
- Let cook for another 2 minutes, then add the Chinese cabbage, garlic, spaghetti and pepper flakes, and stir.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the teriyaki sauce, sesame oil and soy sauce. Add the sauce to the stir-fry, and stir.
- Cook for another 3 to 4 minutes, and serve while hot.
- Top with peanuts.