Zucchini has become such a popular vegetable over the last year or so, being transformed into pizza crusts and into noodles to replace pasta. In this recipe, I wanted to keep zucchini in its natural form but serve it in a way that was not only delicious but also a filling main dish.
I love chicken Parmesan, but not the hassle of making it homemade. This shortcut recipe uses fresh zucchini that get filled with a mixture of sautéed ground chicken, onions, garlic and tomato sauce. And to keep with the classic recipe, it’s then topped off with grated mozzarella and Parmesan cheeses. This is a super-easy dinner that’s so good, and it also happens to be gluten-free and low-carb.
Chicken Parmesan-stuffed zucchini recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 medium zucchini
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 pound ground chicken
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian herbs
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup tomato pasta sauce
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cut each zucchini in half lengthwise, and using a spoon, scoop out the centers.
- Heat a skillet over medium heat, and add the olive oil, ground chicken, onions and garlic.
- Cook the mixture for 4 to 5 minutes or until the chicken is no longer pink and the onions and garlic are translucent.
- Remove from the heat, and stir in the seasonings and tomato sauce.
- Fill each zucchini half with the chicken mixture, and top with shredded mozzarella cheese.
- Bake uncovered for 15 minutes or until the cheese has melted nicely.
- Garnish with grated Parmesan cheese and fresh parsley, and serve warm.