20 Ways to add a flavorful kick to mayonnaise (INFOGRAPHIC)
Whether you slather it on a sandwich or use it as a dip for fries, flavored mayonnaise will give your meal an extra kick of flavor.
You're going to love trying out all these mayonnaise combinations in the handy guide below. But first, a few important tips:
- You can use your own homemade mayo, but creating these mixes with the good old store-bought stuff works brilliantly.
- Liquid ingredients will thin your mayonnaise, so adding too much may make it runny. This is especially true if you're using alternative mayos such as olive oil-based mayonnaise.
- Adding dry seasonings can help thicken a runny mayo mix.
- Fresh herbs give better flavor if they're chopped very finely — think pulverized. Not only does it imbue more flavor, but when you destroy the plant matter, it releases all the juices and oils to really give that flavorful punch.
- Whole ingredients like garlic and shallots should also be chopped very finely unless you like it chunky.
- Use a mini-whisk to mix your mayo, but don't whip it — rather, mix gently. Too-vigorous mixing can make your mayo too loose and runny.