Slow Cooker Sunday: Spaghetti sauce so easy you'll never buy another jar
I'm going to let you in on my secret of what I do when I have friends coming over for dinner.
I purposely make something that will make the house smell insanely amazing when my guests walk in the door. And guess what — this spaghetti sauce works every time. The house smells so good that I can't even explain it. Just being in the house while this is cooking will make you hungry.
And the best part is that it's so easy to make. Especially since it's made in a slow cooker. Really, the only thing that needs to be done when enjoying this sauce is to boil the spaghetti and make some garlic bread.
This sauce looks (and tastes) so rich and hearty. The only warning is that you may get hungry way before dinnertime when you smell this cooking.
A little tip: Make extra pasta for leftovers to warm up later in the week.
Slow cooker ground turkey spaghetti sauce recipe
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 20 minutes
- 1.25 pounds ground turkey, cooked and slightly browned
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 1 (15 ounce) can tomato sauce
- 1 (6 ounce) can tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano leaves
- 1 tablespoon dried basil leaves
- 1 serrano pepper, seeded and diced
- 1-1/2 teaspoons salt (or more if desired)
- 1-1/2 teaspoons ground black pepper
- Parmesan cheese, for topping
- To the slow cooker, add the turkey, diced tomatoes, tomato sauce and tomato paste.
- Fill up the empty tomato sauce and tomato paste cans with water, and pour them both into the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the olive oil, bell pepper, onion, garlic, oregano, basil, serrano pepper, salt and pepper.
- Stir all the ingredients, then set the slow cooker on the 6-hour setting, cover, and let cook.
- After the sauce is done cooking, do a taste test, and add more salt if needed (salt helps bring out the flavor nicely in this sauce).
- Serve while hot over spaghetti pasta, and top with Parmesan cheese.