Skillet caprese chicken — an easy way to turn a favorite salad into dinner
Chicken is probably one of the most popular ingredients in our kitchens, but while healthy and easy to prepare, it can get rather boring.
To jazz up this chicken dish, I roasted organic chicken breasts with sweet cherry tomatoes in olive oil, Italian seasonings, fresh garlic and salt and pepper, then topped them with slices of mozzarella cheese, basil and a drizzle of balsamic vinegar for a dinnertime twist on the Italian caprese salad.
This is not your usual boring chicken.
Skillet caprese chicken recipe
Use the best quality balsamic vinegar you can find — it does make a difference.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Bake time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 4 organic, boneless, skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 garlic cloves
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasonings
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes
- 8 ounces fresh mozzarella, sliced
- Handful fresh basil leaves, thinly sliced
- Good-quality balsamic vinegar
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- To a mixing bowl, add the chicken breasts, olive oil, garlic, seasonings, salt and pepper, and toss well to coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken breasts in the skillet along with the cherry tomatoes, and roast for 20 minutes or until the center of the chicken is no longer pink and the juices run clear.
- Remove the chicken from the oven, and top each with slices of mozzarella cheese.
- Return the chicken to the oven for an additional 5 minutes or until the cheese melts.
- Garnish the chicken with lots of fresh basil, and drizzle a spoonful of balsamic vinegar on top.
- Best served warm.