One-Pot Wonder: Greek lemon chicken and rice skillet in under 1 hour
Outside of the traditional Greek dishes like pastitsio, spanakopita and moussaka, one of my favorite things my mother-in-law makes is a simple lemon-oregano chicken dinner. While she usually serves hers with potatoes, that dish was the inspiration for this one-pan chicken and rice dinner.
When rice is cooked in chicken broth and leftover lemony oregano marinade from the chicken, it goes from boring white rice to the best part of the dish. Even better are the crispy edges from finishing this dish under the broiler.
This one-pan meal has all the flavors of Greece without the hassle of the traditional dishes or the ever-temperamental phyllo dough.
One-pan Greek lemon chicken and rice recipe
Prep time: 25 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 1-1/2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 1 lemon, zest and juice
- 1 lemon, sliced
- 2 large garlic cloves, minced
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon oregano, divided
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 cup white rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- In a zip-top bag, combine the chicken with the lemon juice, zest and slices, the garlic, 1 tablespoon of olive oil and 1 tablespoon of oregano. Toss the chicken to coat, and let marinate for at least 20 minutes or up to overnight.
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In an oven-safe skillet over medium heat, heat the remaining tablespoon of olive oil.
- Remove the chicken from the bag, reserving the marinade, and place it in the skillet. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes per side, and then transfer it to a plate, and set it aside.
- Add the onion to the skillet, and sauté until softened, about 5 minutes.
- Add the rice to the skillet, and toss to mix with the onions.
- Add the broth, oregano, reserved marinade, salt and pepper, to taste, and stir. Bring the rice mixture to a simmer, and then cover with a lid, and transfer it to the oven.
- Bake for 15 minutes covered, then remove the cover, nestle chicken into the rice mixture, and continue to bake for another 10 minutes with the lid off. Broil for the last 3 to 5 minutes to crisp the edges of the chicken and top of the rice.
- Garnish with parsley, and serve.