5 Recipes that upgrade chips from snack food to delicious dish (VIDEO)
Love them or hate them, it’s hard to deny that chips of all kinds are a staple in the American snack diet and are one of our country’s most popular guilty pleasure food items.
In college, I think I subsisted solely on a wholesome diet of Cool Ranch Doritos, which wasn’t exactly something my body thanked me for, but a fun and fond food memory nevertheless. Now at my older, wiser age, all it takes is that one rare bite of crunchy, Cool Ranch deliciousness to send my palate spinning back into chip heaven.
All this nostalgia for my chip-snacking days in my younger years got me thinking about how I could incorporate some of my favorite chip varieties into funky, fun new recipes that kids and adults alike would love. So watch as I show you how to make the perfect chewy, sweet-and-savory sweet potato chip cookies, breakfast-approved and flavor-packed Cool Ranch Doritoquiles, a twist on a Canadian classic with Kettle chip poutine, a Pringles-breaded chicken Parmesan and an easy, portable Mason jar Frito salad. Happy crunching!
1. Kettle chip poutine recipe
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup flour
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 4 cups beef stock
- 1/2 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 (8 ounce) bag Kettle chips
- 1 cup cubed mozzarella cheese
- Chopped parsley, for garnish
- In a saucepan over medium heat, melt the butter.
- Add in the flour, and whisk until smooth. Continue whisking, and cook for 2 minutes.
- Whisk in the garlic, and cook for 1 minute.
- Pour in the beef broth, whisking to prevent lumps.
- Bring the gravy to a low boil, stirring occasionally.
- Add in the Worcestershire sauce, apple cider vinegar and salt and pepper, to taste. Stir together.
- Reduce the heat to low, and let the sauce continue to cook until volume has reduced slightly and the sauce thickens, 10 to 15 minutes.
- In a bowl or on a platter, layer the Kettle chips and cheese.
- Spoon a generous amount of the hot gravy over the chips and cheese.
- Garnish with chopped parsley.