Most people love bagels for their doughy, carby deliciousness. I love bagels solely for the fact that they are a vehicle for at least a solid inch of cream cheese (at least here in New York delis) first thing in the morning.
If you’re a cream cheese lover like me, this bread is for you.
This sweet, albeit healthier, version of banana bread has a hidden layer of cream cheese spread throughout the loaf. Every slice has both the banana bread taste you love with a cheesy bite of cream cheese bliss. It’s like a Danish and banana bread had a baby, and she’s a beauty.
Cream cheese-filled banana bread recipe
Yields 1 loaf
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 45 minutes | Total time:1 hour
For the bread
- 1 egg
- 1/2 cup coconut oil
- 1/2 cup coconut sugar (can substitute with brown sugar)
- 2 mashed ripe bananas
- 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
- 1/4 cup plain Greek yogurt
- 1 cup whole-wheat white flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/3 cup chopped walnuts
For the cream cheese layer
- 6 ounces cream cheese
- 1 egg
- 1 tablespoon maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon whole-wheat white flour
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and grease a 9 x 5-inch loaf pan.
- In a large bowl, whisk together the egg, oil, sugar, bananas, vanilla and yogurt until smooth.
- Add the remaining ingredients for the bread, and stir with a spatula until just combined.
- In a small bowl, combine all the ingredients for the cream cheese layer, and beat with a hand-held mixer until smooth.
- Transfer 1/2 the bread batter into the loaf pan, and smooth it out with a spatula. Pour the cream cheese mixture on top, and then place the remaining half of the bread batter on top of the cream cheese, spreading it out as evenly as possible.
- Bake for 45 to 50 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the middle of the loaf comes out clean.
- Remove from the oven, let cool in the pan for 10 minutes before removing, and then transfer to a wire rack to cool completely before slicing.