Spicy Asian tofu-shrimp salad packs some serious heat
Veggies, peanuts, tofu, shrimp — sound good? This is what should be going on in your kitchen today, because eating healthy should never be boring.
A lot of us are aiming to eat healthier dishes nowadays. Sure, a salad will never be like a big, juicy burger, but we can always give our salads a little more attitude by making them hot and dressing them up with very tasty sauces.
Fresh and healthy flavors combine in this salad that you'll keep coming back to. Plus, it has just the right amount of heat to keep things interesting.
By paying attention to the ingredients we use, we can create delicious dishes with the proper nutrition without wishing we were eating something "better."
Spicy Asian salad with tofu, peanuts and shrimp recipe
When there is tofu, it is usually all about eating a healthy vegetarian dish like this salad with Asian flavors.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 8 minutes | Total time: 18 minutes
- 8 shrimp, shelled and deveined
- 1 (3.5 ounce) block tofu, diced
- 2 tablespoons red miso paste (if using white or yellow miso, use more, to taste)
- 3 tablespoons sesame oil
- 1-1/2 tablespoons mirin
- 1 teaspoon grated ginger
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 1 teaspoon brown sugar (muscovado is good)
- 1/2-1 teaspoon chili sauce (depending on the heat you want)
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame seeds
- 2 tablespoons peanuts
- Handful arugula
- Handful lettuce
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro, roughly chopped
- 1 medium onion, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, sliced
- Spray or rub a very thin layer of olive oil on the griddle to avoid sticking. Over medium heat, warm up the griddle, and then cook both sides of the shrimp and the tofu until grill marks appear. Set them aside.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the miso paste, mirin, lemon juice, sesame oil, sugar, ginger, sesame seeds and chili sauce. Adjust the taste if desired. Set aside.
- In a salad bowl, put together the lettuce, arugula, cilantro, onions, jalapeño, peanuts, shrimp and tofu, and then mix with the spicy miso dressing. Serve immediately.