One-Pot Wonder: Cheesy sausage and rice skillet for a quick dinner fix
When life gets busy, dinner needs to be quick, delicious and easy to whip up. Enter the one-pot Italian sausage and rice skillet.
I took sliced Italian sausages and browned them in a skillet with onions, tomatoes and fresh garlic cloves. Once the sausage was nice and brown, I added instant brown rice along with chicken broth to simmer until the liquid cooked away. And don't forget the cheddar cheese. I love the way the cheese melts into the rice and sausage, making the dish feel so comforting.
This dinner comes together so easily you'll want to add it to your weekly meal plan.
One-pot cheesy Italian sausage and rice with tomatoes recipe
This easy one-pot dinner combines brown rice, Italian sausage, fresh tomatoes and shredded cheddar cheese. If you don't have brown rice, you can swap it for quinoa or even use regular white rice.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 30 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 4 links Italian sausage, sliced
- 1/2 cup diced sweet onion
- 1 cup halved cherry tomatoes
- 2 garlic cloves
- 1-1/4 cups instant brown rice
- 2 cups chicken broth
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1 small handful fresh chopped parsley, for garnish
- Heat a cast-iron skillet (or nonstick skillet) over medium-high heat.
- Add the olive oil, sliced sausage, diced onion and tomatoes. Cook for 4 to 5 minutes or until the onions become translucent and the sausage starts to brown.
- Add in the garlic, and cook for another 3 to 5 minutes, until the garlic starts to brown and is fragrant.
- Add the instant brown rice and vegetable broth. Bring to a rapid boil, then reduce the heat to medium. Cover, and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until the broth is absorbed into the rice.
- Stir the cheese into the rice and sausage just until it melts. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley, and serve warm.