Blueberry skillet cookie is a family-style treat you won't want to share
Don’t make a dozen cookies when you can make one giant cookie instead. Pull out that cast-iron skillet, and put it to use for dessert.
Although I do love my chocolate, especially in cookies, I wanted to switch things up with this recipe and keep things just a little healthier by using fresh organic blueberries. And lemon zest adds the perfect amount of brightness to this dessert without being overpowering.
Once pulled from the oven, my family loves topping off this skillet dessert with creamy vanilla ice cream or frozen yogurt. The warm cookie and the cool ice cream are seriously a match made in heaven for your taste buds.
If you love warm, chewy cookies straight from the oven, this is one treat you're going to make again and again.
Blueberry-lemon skillet cookie recipe
Serve this family-style blueberry cookie warm, topped with scoops of vanilla ice cream. This recipe also works well with frozen blueberries or any berries you have on hand.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Bake time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
- 1/4 cup brown sugar or white sugar
- 1 whole egg
- 1/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 1 cup fresh organic blueberries
- Vanilla ice cream, for serving
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F, and spray a cast-iron skillet with nonstick cooking spray.
- In a bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, baking powder and sea salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine the butter and brown sugar. Using a hand mixer, beat until creamed or fluffy.
- To the wet mixture, add in the egg, buttermilk, vanilla and lemon juice and zest, and mix until the batter is smooth.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients, and mix until well incorporated.
- Carefully fold in the blueberries, folding gently so you don’t mash them. Transfer the cookie dough to the skillet, and smooth it out evenly.
- Bake the cookie for 20 minutes or until the center is completely cooked.
- Remove from the oven, top with scoops of vanilla ice cream, and serve immediately.