Prosciutto-melon pizza: A rustic twist on the classic salty-sweet appetizer
Pizza is my go-to Friday night meal. It's so easy to throw together, and in less than an hour, I'm munching away.
This pizza is the perfect combination of flavors. Fresh melon combined with simple balsamic reduction and prosciutto — it's a fun twist on the classic appetizer prosciutto-wrapped melon.
When I made this pizza, my husband looked at me like I was crazy. Melon? On pizza? Yes and yes! It's sweet and salty and ready in under an hour. Who wouldn't love this?
Prosciutto-melon pizza with balsamic drizzle recipe
It's time to change up your pizza night. This simple recipe for prosciutto-melon pizza is crazy delicious and easy too.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 40 minutes
- 1 batch easy pizza dough
- Extra-virgin olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon dried basil
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 cup mozzarella cheese
- 2 ounces prosciutto, cut into bite-size pieces
- 1/2 cup small-diced melon (I used honeydew and cantaloupe)
- Balsamic drizzle (recipe below)
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough onto a parchment-lined baking sheet. Drizzle the top with olive oil, making sure to leave a little extra, because it will be the "sauce" of the pizza.
- Sprinkle dried basil and garlic powder over the olive oil-slathered crust.
- Top with cheese, and bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, until browned and delicious.
- Remove from the oven, and top with prosciutto and melon. Drizzle with the balsamic drizzle, and serve warm.
- Sprinkle with fresh cracked pepper, if desired.
Balsamic reduction recipe
This super-simple balsamic drizzle is perfect for serving over pizza, salad or even chicken.
Yields 1/2 cup
Total time: 20 minutes
- 1 cup balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar
- To a small saucepan, add all the ingredients.
- Cook over medium heat until thick. Keep a good eye on this mixture while it cooks, because if it burns, it will smell horrible and cannot be saved.
- Store any remaining balsamic reduction in the fridge.