Need a healthy, comforting meal as we head into fall? This fresh lemon, lentil and vegetable soup is prepared in the slow cooker, making dinnertime a breeze while keeping things healthy and filling. Win-win.
Soup is one of my favorite meals to make when the cooler weather arrives. You can make a simple yet delicious soup easily with ingredients you probably already have on hand.
This soup base is made from vegetable broth, lentils and vegetables and gets a hint of bright, tart flavor from fresh lemons. I add all my ingredients to the slow cooker, and before I know it, I have a hearty and healthy lunch or dinner waiting for me.
If you are vegetarian, follow the recipe as is, but meat eaters can add diced chicken to this soup for added protein.
Slow cooker lemon-lentil soup recipe
Light and flavorful soup gets a hint of tangy flavor from fresh lemons, while the lentils and vegetables keep you satisfied.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 6 hours | Total time: 6 hours 10 minutes
- 1-1/4 cups dried lentils
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 1-1/2 cups sweet baby peas
- 1 cup diced carrots
- 5 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 large lemon, juiced
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon onion powder
- 1 tablespoon dried thyme
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Fresh lemon slices, for garnish
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- To the bowl of a slow cooker, add all the ingredients (except for the garnishes).
- Mix well, and place the lid on the slow cooker.
- Set the timer to cook on low for 6 hours.
- Stir the soup occasionally. Once the lentils are nice and tender, turn off the slow cooker.
- Spoon the soup into bowls, and garnish with fresh lemon slices and parsley.
- Best served warm.