Olive oil: The secret ingredient you should be adding to your ice cream
You might think of olive oil as an ingredient to cook with or to make salad dressings, but did you know you can include it in ice cream? The combination of olive oil and vanilla bean in this ice cream recipe adds a bit of sophistication and richness to a classic treat as well as a delicious bite of the unexpected.
Have you ever used vanilla bean paste scraped from the pods in your recipes? If you have, you’ll know what I’m talking about when I say it makes all the difference in the world. I used it for this olive oil and vanilla bean ice cream, and I wouldn’t have it any other way. I love seeing the little flecks of it mixed in against the white background of the ice cream.
This ice cream is rich and quite a treat. Paired with cookies more to the liking of grown-ups, this dessert quickly becomes an ice cream sandwich your guests will swoon over. The olive oil adds to the richness in a special way. It’s not overwhelming, but really a delight!
Olive oil and vanilla bean ice cream sandwiches recipe
You can save these ice cream sandwiches to serve for a special occasion when it’s just the adults around. They’re sophisticated yet fun and completely delicious.
Yields about 8 cups
Prep time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 3-4 hours 20 minutes | Total time: 3-4 hours 25 minutes
- 2 cups heavy cream, divided
- 2/3 cup whole milk
- 1/2 cup sugar, divided
- 3 tablespoons light-flavored olive oil
- 1/2 whole vanilla bean, paste scraped out
- Favorite cookies
- To a bowl, add 1/4 cup of sugar, and then add the vanilla bean paste. Use a fork to mix the two together, working to break up the paste a bit. Add the remaining sugar, and mix to combine.
- To a medium bowl, add 1 cup of the heavy cream and the vanilla-sugar mixture. Whisk until the sugar dissolves.
- Add the remaining heavy cream, the whole milk and the olive oil, and whisk to combine.
- Transfer to a prepared ice cream maker, and churn according to the instructions for your maker.
- Freeze for several hours in a container with a lid. Once the ice cream has hardened, scoop, and add between 2 cookies.
- Serve immediately.