3 Easy ways to sneak sweet potatoes into your meals
Need some fun new ways to enjoy sweet potatoes? I've got three super-easy and oh-so-delicious ways to incorporate sweet potatoes into your meals, and the kids won't even complain.
Most times we enjoy these orange spuds baked, boil or mashed, but not today. Change things up, and make the kids a batch of fluffy sweet potato pancakes or some yummy homemade tater tots. For the adults, simple yet elegant sweet potato Parmesan stacks hit the spot, but the kids might even like those too.
Sweet potato Parmesan stacks recipe
Inspired by Kim’s Healthy Eats
Make sweet potatoes an elegant side dish by cooking them in a muffin tin and topping them with fresh Parmesan cheese.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 3-4 large sweet potatoes, washed and dried
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons melted butter
- 1 tablespoon pure maple syrup
- 1 tablespoon garlic powder
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Fresh thyme leaves
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and spray a muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.
- Using a knife or a mandoline cutter, slice the sweet potatoes as thinly as possible.
- In a large bowl, mix together the remaining ingredients, then add in the sliced potatoes, and toss to evenly coat.
- Layer the potatoes in each muffin cup, filling them to the top and forming a stack (the potatoes will cook down).
- Bake the potatoes uncovered for 45 minutes or until the edges are very golden brown and the centers are fork tender.
- Remove from the oven, and carefully remove the stacks from the pan, transferring them to a serving plate.
- Garnish with extra Parmesan cheese and herbs, and serve warm.
Sweet potato-chocolate chip pancakes recipe
Sweet potato stands in for pumpkin in this healthy and delicious veggie pancake full of sweet chocolate chips.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1-1/2 cups low-fat buttermilk
- 1 cup mashed sweet potatoes
- 1 whole egg
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 tablespoons coconut oil
- 1/4 cup agave or honey
- 2-1/4 cups bread flour or all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 tablespoons pumpkin pie spice
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, combine the buttermilk, sweet potatoes, egg, vanilla, coconut oil and agave or honey, and mix until very smooth.
- In a separate bowl, combine the remaining ingredients, and mix lightly.
- Gently fold the wet ingredients into the dry until a thick batter forms.
- Heat a large skillet or pan over medium heat, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Spoon the pancake batter onto the hot pan, and cook the pancakes in batches for 2 to 3 minutes per side.
- Once all the pancakes have been prepared, serve them warm with whipped cream and pure maple syrup.
- Tip: Keep your pancakes warm by laying them on a baking sheet in a lightly warmed oven until ready to serve.
Easy 3-ingredient sweet potato tots recipe
This crispy baked version of tater tots uses fresh mashed sweet potatoes, breadcrumbs and Parmesan cheese for a healthy side dish or snack.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 35 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 large sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 1 cup fresh grated Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup Italian-style breadcrumbs
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil. Add the sweet potatoes to the boiling water, and cook for about 15 minutes or until they are very soft and tender.
- Heat the oven to 375 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Drain the potatoes, and transfer them to a food processor. Pulse the potatoes until smooth or the desired consistency is reached. Fold in the Parmesan cheese, and set aside.
- To a separate bowl, add the breadcrumbs. Using a small cookie scoop or a teaspoon, form the desired shape of tots, and then coat them with the breadcrumbs.
- Place the tots on the baking sheet, and bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the outsides of the tots are nice and crispy and golden brown.
- Serve warm with ketchup or other desired dips.