Are you gluten intolerant or just looking for a bread substitute that’s a little bit healthier? Coconut flour, when combined with egg whites, creates a super-fluffy bread-like texture that’s an excellent replacement for conventional breads. And it’s simple to make.
These flatbreads take minutes to prepare on the stovetop. Try topping them off with refried beans and fresh taco toppings for an easy Mexican-inspired lunch or using them as pizza crust.
My family and I love Italian and top our flatbreads off with tomato sauce, fresh mozzarella cheese and sliced basil. These flatbreads make a great canvas for your favorite pizza toppings.
Gluten-free coconut flour flatbread recipe
This gluten-free alternative for flatbread uses egg whites and coconut flour that, when cooked, yields a fluffy bread that’s versatile for many dishes. Use these flatbreads as a pizza crust, for Mexican dishes in place of tortillas, for sandwiches or to serve with soups or salads.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 25 minutes
- 3 tablespoons organic coconut flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- 2 large egg whites, beaten
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon sea salt
- Fresh cracked pepper, for seasoning
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients, and mix until there are no lumps.
- Let the mixture stand for 10 minutes (it should begin to thicken).
- Heat a large pan over medium heat, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Add enough batter to the hot pan to make 2 flatbreads, trying to keep them uniform in size.
- Cook the flatbreads for about 3 to 4 minutes per side or until they begin to puff up and the centers are firm. Repeat with the remaining batter until you have 4 flatbreads total.
- Store in an airtight container for several days in the refrigerator.