Who doesn’t love a good, juicy, grilled burger with a side of fries? While delicious burgers and fries aren’t the healthiest thing for lunch or dinner, with a few simple tweaks, you can easily make burgers that are healthier, low-carb and gluten-free.
Lean ground turkey is seasoned with garlic and onions and grilled skillet-style for a bun-less burger that will make your mouth water. Top your patty with a slice of cheese, fresh tomatoes, red onions and a heaping spoonful of diced green chilies, and don’t forget the homemade, crinkle-cut sweet potato fries. They’re baked, not fried, keeping this dish waistline friendly but plenty delicious.
Low-carb, gluten-free green chili skillet turkey burgers recipe
This filling, healthy, low-carb dinner is perfect for burger lovers looking for a healthier alternative. Grilled turkey burgers are served over chopped greens, with fresh toppings, cheese and spicy green chilies.
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
For the burgers
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 small sweet onion, minced
- 1 small handful fresh cilantro
- 1 pound lean ground turkey
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 4 slices white cheddar
- Fresh tomato slices
- Fresh sliced red onion
- 1/4 cup canned diced green chilies
- 2 cups chopped green salad for serving burgers over (optional)
- 1/2 tablespoon garlic powder
- Fresh cracked pepper
- Heat a grill pan over medium heat, and spray with nonstick cooking spray.
- Combine all the ingredients for the burgers, and mix well. Form into 4 patties, and set aside.
- When the grill pan is hot, place the burgers in the pan, and cook for 4 to 5 minutes per side or until the centers are no longer pink.
- Top with cheese slices, tomato slices and red onions, and divide the green chilies among the 4 burgers.
- Plate some of the chopped greens if using. Top with 1 turkey burger, and serve warm with sweet potato fries.
Oven-baked sweet potato fries recipe
Fresh sweet potatoes are cut into fries and baked until crispy, making these a healthier pick over deep-fried versions.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 45 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 2-3 large sweet potatoes, washed and peeled
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- Ketchup or other condiments, if desired
- Heat the oven to 400 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Using a waffle fry cutter or a knife, cut the potatoes into the desired fry size and shape.
- To large bowl, add all the fries, and toss with olive oil, seasoning salt and garlic.
- Spread in an even layer on the baking sheet, and bake for 45 minutes or until crispy.
- Serve warm with ketchup, alongside the skillet turkey burgers.