Sesame broccoli slaw doesn't need mayo to be delicious
I am still trying to get over the fact that I am obsessed with broccoli. I mean, the little green trees I used to run away from are now my besties.
Thank goodness because this gorgeous vegetable is a powerhouse of nutrients. It's great for digestion, your cardiovascular system and immune system, and has anti-inflammatory and cancer-preventing properties. Superfood, indeed.
This perfectly cut broccoli? It's from my grocery store. Initially, I whipped out the mandoline to do it all from scratch; but then I remembered that I like my fingers, so I put it away. Side note: Kitchen mandolines are lethal.
To pump things up a bit more, I added a nice helping of store-bought matchstick carrots and a few sliced radishes to this awesomely healthy slaw. Toasted almonds and sesame seeds joined the party, as well as rice vinegar and oil.
Pair this side dish with a grilled meat for a fantastic family meal, or just eat it as is. Forks optional.
Sesame broccoli slaw with toasted almonds recipe
Prep time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1/2 cup slivered almonds
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1 package (10 ounces) broccoli slaw
- 1 cup matchstick carrots
- 6 radishes, thinly sliced
- 1/4 cup rice vinegar
- 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- Salt, to taste
- Fresh cilantro for garnish
- Heat a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add slivered almonds and sesame seeds; toast for 2 minutes, or until lightly browned and fragrant, stirring frequently.
- Place broccoli slaw, carrots and sliced radishes in a large serving bowl; top with toasted almonds and sesame seeds and set aside.
- In a mixing bowl, combine rice vinegar, oil and salt; whisk to combine.
- Pour the rice vinegar mixture over broccoli slaw and toss to combine.
- Refrigerate the broccoli slaw for about 15 minutes.
- Garnish with cilantro.