Just when you thought hot chocolate couldn’t get any better, your world is changed forever. Brace yourself for lavender, chilli and mint hot chocolate — the best way to fight the freezing cold this winter.
Winter can be brutal, but it can also be the reason for drinking your weight in creamy homemade hot chocolate. Use real chocolate and cocoa and embellish your winter beverage with lavender, chilli or mint. Then drink it curled up on your couch or share it with friends and bow humbly as they give you a standing ovation.
Lavender, chilli and mint hot chocolate
Prep time: 5 minutes | Cook time: 40 minutes
Total time: 45 minutes
- 3 cups whole milk
- 2 teaspoons lavender buds/chilli/fresh mint leaves
- 1 cup cream
- 150 grams dark chocolate
- 150 grams milk chocolate
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- Pour the milk into a small pot and set it on a medium-high heat.
- Once the milk is warm, lower the heat and add the lavender/chilli/mint, stirring constantly.
- As soon as the mixture starts to bubble, turn the heat off and allow it to cool down for 10-15 minutes (or until you’re happy with the intensity of the flavour).
- Pour the milk through a sieve to strain out the lavender/chilli/mint. Pour it back into the pot, turn the heat on low and add the cream, chocolate and cocoa powder.
- Whisk or stir until everything has blended completely and keep it on the heat, stirring, until the mixture thickens a bit.
- Take it off the heat, ladle it into your mugs or glasses. Garnish the hot chocolate with lavender, chilli or fresh mint leaves, if you like, and serve.
Heat the milk, but make sure it doesn’t boil
Add the flavour and allow it to seep into the milk — don’t be afraid to submerge and mix it. Taste it every once and again until the flavour is as intense as you like.
Add the cream and chocolatey goodness and stir until it’s completely dissolved.
Keep going until it thickens up
Take it off the heat, pour it into mugs or glasses, garnish and drink!