The flavor of wine in every bite of this rich and hearty beef Burgundy is comfort food to the max. The beef is so tender, and it’s a wonderful one-dish meal, made in the slow cooker at that.
For me, the hardest part of this meal was finding the right wine. I looked high and low for a Burgundy wine but couldn’t find one. But the answer was easy after I finally asked one of the store employees; a pinot noir is a Burgundy wine. Thank goodness I asked.
One of my favorite pastas is fusilli, because it looks so pretty and fun. It’s a sturdy pasta too, which goes well with beef and carrots. But feel free to use wide noodles for this dish if you prefer.
I love how tender and moist the beef is in this dish. And I especially like that this is a one-dish meal, with meat, veggies and pasta all in one.
Slow cooker shredded beef Burgundy recipe
Tender, moist and rich beef Burgundy made with mushrooms and carrots and served over fusilli pasta is an elegant yet hearty meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 8 hours 30 minutes | Total time: 8 hours 45 minutes
- 2 pounds boneless chuck roast
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 slices bacon, chopped
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 onion (white or yellow), chopped
- 8 medium-size white mushrooms, thickly sliced
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1-1/2 cups cut carrots (cut into about 1-inch-long pieces)
- 1-1/2 cups pinot noir or other Burgundy wine
- 1 teaspoon beef flavor granules
- 1 tablespoon fresh thyme leaves
- 2 medium- to large-size bay leaves
- 2 tablespoons chopped Italian parsley, for the slow cooker
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 tablespoons finely sliced Italian parsley, for garnish
- 4 servings fusilli, cooked al dente
- Heat a large skillet on medium heat, and add the olive oil and bacon.
- Let cook until the bacon has thoroughly cooked. With a slotted spoon, remove the bacon from the pan, and put it in the slow cooker.
- With the heat still on, add the meat to the pan.
- Let the beef brown on both sides.
- Remove the meat from the pan, and put it in the slow cooker.
- Add the butter to the pan, and let it melt.
- Add the mushrooms to the pan, and stir. Let cook until they start to brown.
- Add the garlic, and stir.
- Add the flour, and stir.
- Let cook for another 3 minutes while gently stirring.
- Transfer all the ingredients from the skillet to the slow cooker.
- To the slow cooker, add the carrots, wine, beef granules, thyme, bay leaves, parsley, salt and pepper.
- Stir the ingredients around the beef that is sitting in the slow cooker.
- Set the slow cooker on the 8-hour setting, cover, and let cook.
- When the meat is done cooking, use 2 forks, 1 in each hand, to shred the beef into fairly large pieces.
- Taste the meat, and add more salt if needed.
- Serve the shredded beef and veggies over fusilli pasta, and top with the sauce from the slow cooker.
- Garnish with parsley.