Baked cheddar bloomin' potatoes will make you forget all about onions
If the bloomin' onion appetizer made famous by Outback Steakhouse is one of your favorites on the menu, these bloomin' cheddar potatoes will surely be a hit as well.
With a little bit of patient prep work, these fun, cheesy potatoes, that mimic the classic bloomin' onion, are ready to be picked and plucked at by eager fingers.
To start, slice the tops off your potatoes so that you're working with the widest surface area possible.
With a sharp, small knife (a flexible one would be even better if you have it), cut concentric circles into the potato starting from the outside and working your way in. Leave a small oval in the middle of the potato uncut.
Flip the potato over and cover the middle of the potato with your thumb. Cut lines from the outside of your thumb down to the bottom of the potato using the knife.
Flip the potatoes back over and place them on a tinfoil-lined baking sheet. Drizzle them with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Then, place them in a 425 degree F oven for 30 minutes to bake.
After 30 minutes they should start to look a bit roasted like the picture below.
Brush more olive oil onto the tops of each potato, then return them to the oven for another 30 minutes to bake.
They should look browned around the edges and crispy after 1 hour of baking. Gently pull the sections apart with your fingers.
Top each potato with 1/4 cup of grated cheddar cheese, then return them to the oven for another 5 minutes to melt.
Once the cheese melts and becomes bubbly (you could even broil them for these 5 minutes instead for a crispier topping, if desired) pull them out of the oven.
Let the potatoes cool slightly before serving. Then, dig in.
Baked cheddar bloomin' potatoes recipe
These bloomin' cheddar potatoes are baked to perfection and give the classic bloomin' onion appetizer a run for its money.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 1 hour 5 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 20 minutes
- 4 large, circular Yukon red potatoes, washed thoroughly
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Kosher salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated yellow cheddar
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F and line a baking sheet with tinfoil
- Slice the tops off the potatoes.
- Using a small, sharp knife, cut concentric circles into the flesh of the potato with the cut side up, leaving a small section in the middle as is.
- Flip the potato over and use your thumb to cover the middle section without any cuts from the other side. Cut down from the outside of your thumb to the bottom of the potato all around the perimeter of the potato.
- Flip the potato back over and place on the baking sheet.
- Repeat for each potato.
- Drizzle the potatoes with a generous amount of olive oil and brush all over the exterior. Season with salt and pepper to taste and place in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the oven, brush more olive oil on the tops and return them to the oven for another 30 minutes.
- Remove potatoes from the oven and gently spread the sections apart with your fingers. Place 1/4 cup of cheddar cheese on top of each potato and return them to the oven to melt for 5 minutes.
- Remove and let cool slightly before serving.