Nothing screams summer more than an ice cream cone, but the summer heat is not its friend. As an alternative, try these cute ice cream cones made from Rice Krispies cereal and mini cones. They have the look and taste of your favorite ice cream cone flavors, and no drips or cleanup needed.
Where I live, the days are hot and most definitely humid. My kids and I made these treats the other day when they wanted ice cream. Although not ice cream, these cones made from cereal, marshmallows and mini cones will let you enjoy a treat in the summer without all the dripping that happens as soon as you eat a stacked ice cream cone in the August summer heat.
We made them in Neapolitan flavors (chocolate, strawberry and vanilla) because each of my kids has a different favorite flavor.
You can flavor the cereal treats to almost any ice cream flavor you like or even stack them to make your favorite triple scoop.
Mini Rice Krispies Treats ice cream cone recipe
If you can’t find mini cones, then use regular-size cones. You’ll need to use more cereal treat per cone and approximate the size based on the opening of the cone.
Cook time: 10 minutes | Assembly time: 45 minutes | Total time: 55 minutes
- 1 box mini ice cream cones
- 9 cups Rice Krispies cereal
- 5 tablespoons butter
- 6 cups mini marshmallows
- 1 tablespoon cocoa powder
- 1 tablespoon strawberry milk powder (such as strawberry-flavored Quik)
- 1 teaspoon clear vanilla extract
- 2-1/2 cups white chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate chips
- Assorted sprinkles
- In a large stovetop pan, melt the butter and marshmallows until just combined.
- Separate the butter-marshmallow mixture equally into 3 large bowls. To one bowl, add the cocoa, to another, add the strawberry powder, and to the last bowl, add the vanilla. Mix each well.
- Add 3 cups of cereal to each bowl, and mix well until all the cereal is coated evenly.
- Roll the treats into 2-inch balls. Spray your hands with nonstick cooking spray so the cereal doesn’t stick to your hands.
- In a microwave-safe bowl, melt the chocolate chips in 10-second intervals until just melted. Using a butter knife, spread some chocolate onto the edges of a cone. Add a chocolate cereal treat on top. Do the same for the rest of the chocolate treats.
- Follow step 5 using the white chocolate chips for the vanilla and strawberry treats.
- Once the chocolate has hardened, dip each ice cream cone treat top into the remainder of the white chocolate chips.
- Immediately top with your favorite sprinkles. Don’t forget a cherry on top!
More fun dessert recipes
Cake? Ice cream? Have both in one bowl with easy birthday cake ice cream
Combine cake batter and cheesecake for the dreamiest no-bake dessert ever
Oreo pie cookies: Only 3 ingredients stand between you and dessert heaven