Quinoa burrito bowls for a low-carb take on a fast food favorite
Want to make your burrito bowl healthier? This recipe for homemade burrito bowls is much lower in carbs and calories, and it is packed with protein, fiber and delicious veggies.
I have this thing for recreating popular restaurant dishes at home. From General Tso's Chicken to Chili's Margarita Chicken, I have them all covered — including Chipotle's Burrito Bowls. The only thing I do differently is that I try to lighten up the originals. My thighs don't necessarily appreciate all those extra carbs and calories, especially in the summer months, thus our little hobby of making copycats healthier is working out quite well for all of us. Thighs included.
Quinoa has established a solid spot in my cooking and it is usually my go-to in recipes that call for rice. Also, and even though I'm not a vegetarian, sometimes in place of meat, or in place of Chipotle's chicken, I turn to beans just because. And when things call for salsa, I almost always reach for some very ripe and juicy tomatoes, and a freshly chopped onion.
That said, homemade will forever be better than anything store-bought, and this make-it-yourself burrito bowl recipe is no exception.
Quinoa burrito bowl recipe
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 25 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
- 1 cup quinoa
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 lime, juiced
- 4 cups chopped lettuce
- 1 cup grape tomatoes, halved
- 2 avocados, diced
- Nonfat plain yogurt, optional
- Prepare the quinoa as per the directions on the box; set it aside.
- Heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat.
- Add the diced onions and continue to cook for 2 minutes, or until softened.
- Stir in the minced garlic and cook for 30 seconds, or until fragrant.
- Add the beans, stir in the cumin and chili powder and continue to cook until heated through, about 3 minutes.
- Remove the mixture from heat and slowly stir in the quinoa.
- Squeeze fresh lime juice over the mixture and stir until combined.
- Divide up the lettuce between 4 serving bowls.
- Arrange the quinoa mixture over the lettuce.
- Add the halved grape tomatoes and diced avocado over the quinoa.
- Top the bowls with a dollop of yogurt.