Need a tasty way to use up that head of cauliflower that’s been sitting in your refrigerator? This easy slow cooker soup is rich and creamy and packed full of cheddar cheese flavor, but you don’t have to slave over a hot stove to make it.
Fresh cauliflower is added to the slow cooker, along with vegetable broth, heavy cream and spices, and is simmered until the cauliflower is nice and tender. Once cooked, just use an immersion blender to blend your soup with two kinds of cheese right in the bowl of the slow cooker.
And don’t forget to top off your bowls with bacon pieces and slices of green onions.
Slow cooker cauliflower-cheddar soup recipe
Rich and creamy, this slow cooker cauliflower soup is comforting and filling. Serve with fresh bread for dipping or even alongside a green salad. Tip: If you don’t have an immersion blender, then carefully transfer small batches of the soup to a blender or food processor, and blend until creamy.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Cook time: 4 hours | Total time: 4 hours 20 minutes
For the soup
- 1 large head cauliflower, florets removed and chopped
- 1 small sweet onion, diced
- 2-3 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 large Idaho or other baking potato, peeled and diced
- 3 cups vegetable broth
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream or half-and-half
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 tablespoon seasoning salt
- Fresh cracked pepper, to taste
- 1 cup grated cheddar cheese
- 1/2 cup freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- Bacon crumbles
- Thinly sliced green onions
- To the bowl of the slow cooker, add all the ingredients except for the cheddar and Parmesan cheeses.
- Cover the slow cooker, and set to cook on high for 2 to 4 hours or until the cauliflower is very tender.
- Using an immersion blender, blend the soup right in the bowl of the slow cooker to desired consistency.
- Once blended, stir in the cheddar and Parmesan cheese, place the lid back on the soup, and heat just until the cheeses have melted.
- Divide the soup into serving bowls, and garnish with bacon crumbles and thinly sliced green onions. Best served warm.