Chocolate, marshmallow and bits of crunchy nuts get piled over gluten-free rice cereal bites for a no-bake, tasty treat. These are perfect anytime you need a sweet treat.
It’s summer, and who wants to turn on the oven to bake cookies? Not me. One of the reasons I love these gluten-free rocky road haystack treats is because it takes only a few minutes on the stovetop and a bit more time in the fridge until you can enjoy a classic treat.
Don’t save the rocky road combo for just ice cream, because it’s pretty amazing in haystack form. These treats are fun to serve and easy to make — perfect for summer fun.
Note: Gluten can be found in many different foods and products, from ketchup to soy sauce to candy and seasonings. While SheKnows tries to ensure that these recipes are gluten-free, carefully read the ingredient labels of all food and food products you use for these recipes to ensure they are also gluten-free.
Gluten-free rocky road haystack treats recipe
This classic, no-bake goodie is full of surprises: The peanuts and marshmallow go perfectly with its chocolaty coating!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 5 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 45 minutes
- 2 tablespoons shortening
- 12 ounces chocolate chips
- 2 cups mini marshmallows, plus about 1/4 cup extra for garnish
- 2 cups gluten-free crispy rice cereal
- 2 cups gluten-free rice squares cereal
- 4 ounces peanuts
- Line 2 baking sheets with waxed paper, and set them aside.
- In a large Dutch oven or pan, melt the shortening over medium-low heat. Add the chocolate chips, and stir to help them melt and mix.
- Once the chocolate has melted, add the 2 cups of marshmallows. Stir to coat, then add the cereal and peanuts.
- Mix to combine, then remove from the heat.
- Use a tablespoon to drop mounds of the mixture onto the baking sheets. Top each with 1 or 2 of the extra marshmallows.
- Place in the refrigerator for 20 to 30 minutes or until they’ve set. Remove and serve.
More gluten-free recipes
Corn flake- and coconut-crusted baked chicken
Cilantro-lime shrimp and guacamole sopes
Leave a Comment