It’s truly astonishing how going gluten free can open a whole new world of exciting cooking and baking.
The general assumption is that eschewing wheat and gluten is highly limiting and restrictive, but this idea couldn’t be further from the truth. Perhaps at the very beginning, when you are first faced with unfamiliar ingredients and cooking methods, you feel a little out to sea and adrift on the unknown. But as you begin to explore and experiment, you come to see that gluten free is virtually limitless. There are so many naturally gluten-free ingredients and products out there, and people are using them in remarkably creative ways. You are only truly limited by your imagination.
Take cauliflower, for example. Not too long ago, this was the boring white vegetable your mother served steamed or boiled along with your Sunday roast. It was always one of the last veggies to be eaten on the crudité plate at parties. It was just one of those things you ate only because you knew it was good for you.
But cauliflower, that long-overlooked cruciferous vegetable, is now the darling of the gluten free and health conscious. It’s incredibly versatile and is being used for everything from muffins to bread to pizza crust. And loading it with cheese and other tasty toppings makes it a fun way to get some vegetables into your kids. You don’t have to tell them that the “bread” is made with cauliflower if you don’t want to.
This recipe is a great one for the summer because there is no need to turn on your oven and heat up your kitchen. Just chop the cauliflower very finely, mix with a few other gluten-free ingredients and press firmly into the bottom of your slow cooker. Top with plenty of garlic, cheese and perhaps a little fresh basil, and a few hours later you have melty, cheesy, gluten-free goodness.
Slow cooker cheesy cauliflower garlic bread recipe
- 12 ounces cauliflower florets (about 1 medium head)
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups shredded mozzarella or Italian cheese blend, divided
- 3 tablespoons coconut flour or other gluten-free flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh basil
- Grease the bottom and lower sides of a 6-quart slow cooker.
- In a food processor, chop cauliflower until it resembles fine grains of rice. Transfer to a large bowl.
- Stir in 1 cup of the shredded cheese, eggs, coconut or gluten-free flour, salt and pepper. Stir well to combine.
- Press mixture firmly into the bottom of the prepared slow cooker. Sprinkle with garlic and remaining 1 cup of shredded cheese.
- Cook on high for 2 to 4 hours, until edges are browned and crisp and cheese is melted.
- Cut into 8 slices and remove from slow cooker. Sprinkle with chopped basil and serve warm.
Disclosure: This post is part of a sponsored collaboration between Chex and SheKnows.