Making a delicious dinner for your family doesn’t have to be a struggle. This vegetarian and gluten-free dinner hits the table in just 35 minutes, making it easy enough for a busy weeknight.
Bonus: You need only one pot for this hearty dinner. Meatless chili is combined with cooked quinoa pasta and cheese for a super-easy and super-delicious comfort food mashup.
Just jazz up your favorite canned vegetarian chili with extra seasonings and some diced green chili peppers, and you’re almost done. (Using a good-quality canned chili in this recipe will save time, but you can certainly make homemade if you desire.)
For a little extra pop, you can easily add a cool, creamy spoonful of sour cream along with a garnish of parsley. Dinner is served.
One-pot cheesy veggie chili pasta recipe
This one-pot-pasta-meets-chili meal comes together easily and is not only filling but completely vegetarian and gluten-free.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 20 minutes | Total time: 35 minutes
For the chili pasta
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa macaroni-shaped pasta
- 1 tablespoon olive or canola oil
- 2 veggie burgers, crumbled (I used Gardenburgers)
- 1 medium sweet onion, diced
- 2 (15 ounce) cans vegetarian chili
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 (4 ounce) can diced green chilies
- 1-1/2 cups shredded cheese (I used a mix of Monterey Jack and cheddar cheeses)
- Fresh parsley, for garnish
- Bring a large pot of water to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Add the quinoa pasta, and cook as directed on the package, about 8 to 10 minutes.
- Once cooked, drain the pasta, and set it aside.
- To the same pot, add the oil, crumbled veggie burgers and onions. Cook for 5 minutes uncovered, until the veggie burgers start to crisp and the onions become translucent.
- To the same pot, add both cans of the vegetarian chili, the garlic powder and green chilies.
- Cover, reduce the heat to medium-low, and simmer the mixture for 10 minutes.
- Stir in the cooked pasta and 1 cup of the shredded cheese, and cook for an additional 3 to 5 minutes or until the cheese has melted.
- Remove from the heat, top with the remaining 1/2 cup of cheese, and garnish with fresh chopped parsley.
- Best served warm.