There’s hardly anyone I know who doesn’t love fajitas. From the sizzling skillet to the variety of toppings, the tortillas and all the garnishes, they’re a Mexican food favorite, for sure.
But I actually kind of hate dealing with tortillas and taco-like foods at home. They’re just way more labor intensive than you originally think once you get into separating all the ingredients and garnishes so people can pick and choose what they like. No thanks — who’s got time for that?
This easy dinner takes everything you love about fajitas and sticks it in a pot with pasta. The directions couldn’t be simpler: Literally dump it all in, cook, and serve. It’s Mexican meets Italian comfort food, and it’s a must-add to your weeknight dinner rotation.
One-pot fajita pasta recipe
This one-pot pasta dish is loaded with all your favorite fajita toppings and flavors. Add cooked chicken or shrimp to it for an even heartier meal.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound linguine or thin spaghetti
- 1 (28 ounce) can crushed tomatoes
- 1 large red onion, sliced
- 1 green bell pepper, sliced
- 1 red or orange bell pepper, sliced
- 1 jalapeño, diced
- 1/4 cup cilantro leaves, chopped
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 1/4 cup sour cream
- Lime wedges, for garnish
- Additional cilantro, for garnish
- In a large pot, place all the ingredients except for the sour cream and garnishes.
- Bring to a boil over high heat, and cook while stirring frequently until the pasta is done, about 10 to 12 minutes.
- Remove from the heat, stir in the sour cream, garnish as desired, and then serve.