Meatless Monday: Spinach pesto flatbread is as easy as it is delicious
Flatbread is one of the easiest dinners known to man. It's a lot like a pizza, but without the red sauce. In this case it's spinach pesto, which is a fantastic use for spinach, if you ask me.
If you have never made flatbread before, you're in for a treat. This version is so easy you'll be saying, "Ummmm, why haven't I been making this my whole life?" Plus it's vegetarian, so you can pile on those veggies.
In this version, I used marinated artichokes, spinach, sun-dried tomatoes, cheese and just a sprinkling of fresh, cut green onions. So simple and so delicious.
Spinach pesto and artichoke flatbread recipe
Layer up fresh dough with flavorful spinach pesto, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomato and stringy cheese.
Prep time: 15 minutes | Cook time: 15 minutes | Total time: 30 minutes
- 1 pound fresh pizza dough, divided in half
- 1/2 cup spinach pesto
- 1 (7 ounce) jar marinated artichoke hearts, chopped
- 1/4 cup sliced sun-dried tomatoes
- 1 cup shredded cheese (cheddar, mozzarella or Italian blend would work great)
- 4 green onions, green part sliced
- Heat the oven to 425 degrees F, and line a baking sheet with parchment paper or a Silpat liner.
- Press out both pieces of the dough onto the prepared baking sheet to make 2 small thin-crust flatbreads.
- Top each dough crust with spinach pesto, artichoke hearts, sun-dried tomatoes and cheese.
- Bake for about 15 to 18 minutes, until the cheese has melted and the dough is browned and cooked through.
- Remove from the oven, and sprinkle with fresh green onion.