Mini key lime pie cookie cups: Our favorite party trick
Store-bought sugar cookie dough and a no-bake filling make these mini Key lime pie cups a cinch to whip up.
One of my favorite desserts of all time is Key lime pie. I love the tangy citrus flavor the Key limes add and the creamy texture that whipped cream lends, balancing out the tartness. While traditionally this pie uses a graham cracker crust, I opted to swap that out for sugar cookie dough I picked up at my grocery store.
Another ingredient commonly used in Key lime pie? Egg yolks, which are sometimes beaten into the filling. Since I didn’t want to be bothered with the worry of raw eggs or taking the extra time to cook the filling, I simply skipped the eggs and made a whipped Key lime filling using lime juice and heavy whipping cream.
Not only is this dessert super simple to prepare, it's wonderful to serve when entertaining guests or if you want to have just a tiny bite of dessert to satisfy those pesky sweet tooth cravings.
Key lime pie sugar cookie cups recipe
This popular tangy citrus pie is transformed into a full-flavored lime treat in bite-size form.
Prep time: 20 minutes | Bake time: 15 minutes | Inactive time: 30 minutes | Total time: 1 hour 5 minutes
- 1 (1 pound) roll store-bought sugar cookie dough
- 2 cups heavy whipping cream
- 1 (14 ounce) can sweetened condensed milk
- 1/2 cup Key lime juice
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 lime, zested
- Pinch sea salt
- Fresh lime zest and wedges, for garnish (optional)
- Heat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Spray a mini-size muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray, and set aside.
- Place about 1 teaspoon of the sugar cookie dough into each muffin cup, and with your fingers, form the dough into the muffin cup.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes or until the cookie dough is lightly golden brown.
- Remove the cookie cups from the pan, and let them cool on a wire rack for 30 minutes.
- Meanwhile, in a mixing bowl, combine the condensed milk, lime juice, vanilla, lime zest and sea salt, and mix well.
- To a separate mixing bowl, add the heavy whipping cream.
- Using a hand mixer, mix the heavy cream on high until it becomes very thick and creamy, about 4 to 5 minutes.
- Fold the whipped cream into the lime mixture until smooth.
- Using a piping bag or a small spoon, fill each sugar cookie cup with the Key lime filling.
- Garnish with whipped cream and fresh lime wedges or zest, and serve immediately, or keep chilled in the refrigerator until ready to serve.