Technically this is a pasta salad (orzo is a type of tiny pasta that looks a little like rice), but it’s more fun than the usual. Toss this tiny pasta with chickpeas, broccoli, feta cheese and a lemony vinaigrette for lovely, fresh flavor and a filling dish.
Switch up your standard summer pasta salad, and try this one that includes chickpeas and tiny orzo pasta. You’ll find it’s filling and really easy to make. It’s an ideal dish to serve on Meatless Monday or any day of the week.
Orzo looks a little like rice, but it is really a type of tiny pasta. The lemony dressing, vibrant broccoli and slightly salty feta cheese add great flavors to a standard picnic or party dish that is perfect in the summer season.
Orzo salad with broccoli, chickpeas and feta recipe
Toss together this simple pasta salad that is perfect to serve at any gathering. No heavy mayo-based dressing here. Just big flavor thanks to a light vinaigrette and great add-ins!
Prep time: 10 minutes | Cook time: 10 minutes | Total time: 20 minutes
- 2 tablespoons lemon juice
- 3-1/2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper, plus extra for garnish
- 2 cups cooked orzo
- 1-1/2 cups broccoli florets, steamed
- 1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas, drained and rinsed
- 3 ounces crumbled feta, plus extra for garnish
- Combine the lemon juice, olive oil, garlic, salt and 1/4 teaspoon of ground black pepper. Whisk to combine. Taste, and adjust the seasoning as needed. Refrigerate until ready to use.
- Allow the orzo to come to room temperature. In a large bowl, combine the orzo with the broccoli, chickpeas and feta. Toss to combine.
- Whisk and pour the vinaigrette over the salad. Toss to coat.
- Garnish the salad with extra feta crumbles and a bit more ground black pepper.
- Serve at room temperature or chilled.
More Meatless Monday recipes
Chilled tortellini, tomato and melon salad with lemon-mint vinaigrette
Walnut and spinach burgers with tomato-mango chutney
Crabless cakes with light rémoulade
Leave a Comment